The UMCP chapter of Engineers Without Borders will be hosting an art auction fundraiser in April and they're looking for donations. All mediums will be accepted, as long as they're G- or PG-rated (we'll get back to that in a minute...). Artists will receive 25% of the final bid price if the piece sells, and the remaining 75% will be tax-deductable. If interested, contact Xiah Kragie at EWBArtAuction@xiah.com with any questions. You can also go to their website at http://www.eng.umd.edu/ewb/artauction.html. This is the email Xiah sent me:
Engineers Without Borders Art Auction and Show
Call for entry: Due March 28th
Engineers Without Borders UMD is a non-profit that works with developing communities around the world to improve people's lives through specific projects. This year we have projects in Ecuador, Brazil, and Thailand to deliver clean water and provide sanitation to three needy communities. For these goals, they are hosting an art auction at the Leland Center in Bethesda, MD, on April 8th and 9th to fundraise for the implementation. 25% of the final selling price goes directly to the artist.
EWBArtAuction@xiah.com and www.eng.umd.edu/ewb/artauction.html to arrange for a donation or for more information.
DONATE to the Engineers Without Borders Art Auction (held April Sat 8th 5-8pm & Sun 2nd 2-4pm in Bethesda, MD)
To support artists supporting us, we're sponsoring **FREE MODEL AND STUDIO SESSIONS**where YOU can take advantage of still lifes, easels, and modeling sessions at the University of Maryland. The next studio work session is MONDAY MARCH 6TH FROM 5-8PM. Come to University of Maryland's art socy building room 2317 (http://www.umd.edu/CampusMaps/bld_detail.cfm?bld_code=ASY) any time during the period for free figure models and studio space. You'll also get to meet members of the Engineers Without Borders and ask questions about the projects/impact of your donation. (If you think you are coming, please send an email to EWBArtAuction@xiah.com)
Engineers Without Borders UMD is a student group on campus that works with developing communities around the world to improve people's lives through specific projects. This year we have projects in Ecuador, Brazil, and Thailand to deliver clean water and provide sanitation to three needy communities. (more info on all of this at www.eng.umd.edu/ewb ). For these goals, we are having an art auction in Bethesda, MD, in April to fundraise for the implementation.
Visit our website: www.eng.umd.edu/ewb/artauction.html or email EWBArtAuction@xiah.com to get more information or arrange for a donation.
Reasons for artists to donate:
1). Its a great cause. We're an entirely volunteer organization that actually improves people's lives in small communities around the world, but we need money for materials etc. The students and professionals who go actually cover a chunk of their own costs, so nearly all of our money goes straight to the projects.
2). 25% of the selling price goes to the artist. Buyers will be asked to write two checks. 25% to the artist as 'the price" and 75% to the organization as a 501c(3) tax deductible donation.
3). The location and our own PR will attract a serious buying audience from outside the normal DC art scene, including individuals like the chancellor of the university of md system and other officials who have taken an interest in the work of the organization.
4). FREE STUDIO SESSIONS. The second one is Monday March 6th from 5-8pm at the University of MD. Potentially interested artists are welcome to stop by to learn more about the organization (we'll have volunteers on hand) and to use the models/still lifes / space / resources. (and honestly we dont care so much if people come and don't end up donating).
Xiah rocks. I went to high school with her. Help her out, donate to a worthy cause, maybe make a little money, everyone wins!