Monday, March 06, 2006

SO Not Photo/Sex Related

I went to a miniatures show with my mom yesterday. Yeah, I know, but those things are cool, and we're working on a top-secret project (I kid you not). I dare any of you to go to one of these shows, pick up a 1/6"- or 1/12"-scale armoire, handmade, beautifully detailed, very intricate and complicated, and tell me that it isn't art, or argue that craft isn't art either. Man, those things are so cool! There are some shitty, mass-produced pieces too, but you can find a lot of really gorgeous craft pieces that really will take your breath away. But I digress.

Anyway, these shows are often dominated by middle-aged women and little old ladies, who I suspect, make dollhouses as their way of playing "God." Like, they've lived one life, and the dollhouse is their fantasy, the life they wanted but didn't have. Complete with Laura Ashley sofa upholstery and doilies on EVERYTHING. Yeah, I'm mocking them a little, but in all fairness, isn't that why people play "The Sims," too? Anyway, as you would expect, these shows are dominated by a lot of chintzy (sp), hyper-feminine, cute pieces. Beautiful pieces, but overwhelmingly traditional and old-fashioned. I wasn't kidding about the Laura Ashley and doilies. But these ladies like to have mini art on the mini walls of their mini houses, complete with museum-grade gilded gold frames, but more often than not, the art they choose is to the effect of a faux-Impressionist paintings, or the close-up of Raphael's "Sistine Madonna" painting with the little cherubs (you've seen it, don't worry). Usually pretty, safe landscapes that make me gag. So when I saw the diorama/mini room of the mod pad, complete with plexiglass bookshelves and, *GASP* a giant Morris Louis/Washington Color School painting, I squealed. Yeah, laugh all you want, but modern art is rarely, if ever, seen in this type of setting, let alone a relatively obscure reference like Louis. There is hope for the world after all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pol said...

Hey, what is in your mouth in this photo?

http://www.samanthawolov.com/mild/mild10.html

7:27 AM  
Blogger Samantha Wolov said...

1. that's not my mouth, it's my friend's mouth
2. a berry-flavored popcicle.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home