Saturday, May 20, 2006

Nerve Mag Entries

Nerve Magazine (www.nerve.com) is a fan of photography. They have an amazing database of mini galleries from certain artists (including, ahem, me), and they feature new galleries every Friday. They also have monthly themed photo competitions, themes like "take a sexy picture of someone only wearing flip-flops" or "take a sexy picture of someone cleaning their bathroom". I don't usually do that kind of thing, but first prize gets $500, and second and third get $100 each, so it's worth a shot. Anyway, this month's theme was "take a sexy picture of someone taking a picture". I could do that--it's not super cheesy. So I did. The three pictures I submitted are below. I think I have a pretty good shot. My stuff won't show up on the site until they send me a confirmation email, which I suspect won't happen until Monday morning (given that I submitted after 5pm on Friday).



8 Comments:

Blogger Chris Rywalt said...

I like B. It's good. Interesting.

I visit Nerve every so often. I like to see what Siege is up to. When I grow up, I want to be just like him.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Samantha Wolov said...

merci.

couldn't you aspire to grow up to be someone, you know, cool? :)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Chris Rywalt said...

I actually was feeling kind of bad for the world in general when I read that Mr. Cubitt was in the hospital for an overdose of sleeping pills. It's not clear from his entry that it was intentional, but I'm guessing it was, which just makes the world that much more depressing a place: When a guy whose job involves having sex with beautiful naked women in multiples larger than one and selling the resulting photos -- and he's as well-endowed as Mr. Cubitt is -- when that guy is ready to take his own life, what hope can the rest of us possibly hold on to?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Samantha Wolov said...

without pulling an edna, i'll just say that even though i'm REALLY not a fan of him or his work, i'm sure he had his reasons and i hope he feels better.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Chris Rywalt said...

I don't love everything he does but he has a few photos which are simply magnificent. As usual with photos of nudes, though, I'm never sure if I'm reacting to the photo or the person in it. Take this publically available image. Rose has a fantastic profile -- Cubitt says "I've been infatuated with her profile for a long time now. It borders on a fetish sometimes...." She has great presence and the nudes of her are captivating and beautiful.

So Cubitt didn't create Rose or her profile, or her way of holding herself. He did find a way to capture those on film. Didn't he? Isn't that part of the art of photography?

As usual, I'm not sure.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, I won the 2nd place of the scarf contest, and they still haven't given me my $100 and won't response to my emails. It's all hype! BLAH!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Samantha Wolov said...

congrats on winning. that sucks about the check. presumably you've emailed them or called them or something. i'll admit they're not the most punctual over there (days pass before they respond to emails, my last check showed up 1.5 months after my photos went up...), but they're still good people.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Samantha Wolov said...

thanks, p

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home