Monday, August 22, 2005

Why I'm Not Posting So Often

I leave for DC on Saturday. I've had a blast out here, but I'm ready to come home. So in the meantime, I'm packing and grappling with the internal Braveheart battle scene in my head, but my schedule looks kinda swamped for the next few weeks after that. Here's what it looks like:

8/22-8/26: Pack. Finish work at the store and the gallery. Get a little mopey about starting school and leaving the boy. Again.
8/27: Wake up ridiculously early (like, 3), fly to DC. Work on a few entries to some arts competitions. Crash in bed.
8/29: First day of school. First day of last semester. First day of the rest of my life. I will essentially have class all day from 9:55 a.m. to 8 p.m. Ceramics from 9:55-12:55 Mondays and Thursdays, Pre-Reformation Devotional Art (oy) from 3:35-4:50 Mondays and Thurdays, Approaches to Art History Mondays from 5:30-8:00, and Visual Arts in the U.S. until 1890 on Thursdays from 5:30-8:00. Whee.
9/03: Boyfriend comes home from SF.
9/04: I turn 21. How convenient that my 21st is on a three-day weekend. Too bad I don't drink.
9/17: Cousin's wedding in CT. Last time I see the boy for three months. A wedding is not the best place for a "bye, see you in three months" parting.

There may be a job in there someplace, plus grad school applications, plus working on the art. Actually, I'd prefer to not get the job and just work on the art, but alas, that may not work, given that it's not financially profitable at all. At least I'm realistic. What I REALLY want is to stick my fingers in more art-flavored pies, so to speak. Just get more involved. I have the education (or at least most of it), I have some internship experience, I have a fine arts background, and I'll hopefully get some good recs. So grad school might like me. But I want to do more. Maybe volunteer at a museum (although I'd really like to volunteer at a local library, even though that's not art-related), or curate something. I don't know how I'll pull off that last one, but I could do it. I've done it before. And this time, I might have help. I feel like I know a lot of people that I'd like to have working artistic relationships with, even if I don't want to actually artistically collaborate with them. I know people can submit proposals to venues, but these things take a lot of time, and it's generally out of your control if you're lucky enough you have your proposal accepted, and frankly, I have a problem with authority and I lack patience when it comes to art. We'll see how this plays out. But, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home