Saturday, August 27, 2005

New Direction?

Ok, so it's late and I'm frustrated. Here's the deal: the sex pictures aren't selling. I'm not surprised. That's not why I'm frustrated. If I'm not going to get a job this semester, then at least I can do something to better myself artistically and expand my horizons. I've already purchased a Holga (I took the idea from JT Kirkland, who is also supposed to post my Artist Interviewing Artist responses at some point) in hopes that I can just get some good ol' experimentation in, but I'd really like to focus more on a more commercially-friendly theme, if possible. Going back to portraiture seems like a natural move, because it seems to give me the most freedom, but I want to do something new, and I'm afraid I might not be able to do that with portraiture. I don't want to do anything trite or contrived, or old, or obviously pandering to the wallets of an overly sentimental, overly conservative, generally boring DC art market (the artists I've met are fantastic, it's the buyers that seem difficult). Plus, I want to try something new, and portraiture, well, isn't. Yes, yes, I know I can put my own stamp on things, but I'm feeling a little tapped out right now. I'm playing around with one idea in my head right now, but I want to marinate for a while, see what happens. It still seems "done". I like "street" photography, but again, it's been done. I know this is the hardest part of being an artist, trying to find inspiration to create a whole new series of completely original art that is going to change the world, but I still want to do it. So in the meantime, I will do my research, I will go to exhibits, talk to people, and see what happens. And I am of course open to suggestions.

And no, this doesn't mean the sex photos are done. I'm just running out of people to shoot. I'm hoping the new people I'm in talks with will yield lots of new pictures. All my others seem boring to me. Except for "Orgasm #2". I'm still not sure how I did that.

I asked the wonderful Mark Jenkins if there was any chance my new site could be up in time for my birthday next week, and he said yes, so it should be up soon. Expect a post and probably an email, if I know you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home