Wednesday, August 16, 2006

First blog post as a Left Coast resident

Ok, it's been a while. Moving will do that. But here goes:

1. Thank you to everyone who wished me luck, sent warm wishes, or slightly bitter emails lamenting my departure from Washington. I'll come back, I promise! I suspect my mother would disown me if I didn't.

2. We JUST got approved for our apartment. I took more time than we thought, but we have a place to live now, so I can actually breathe again, and stop being a total sourpuss. Now, on with the furniture shopping!

3. I am, however, still unemployed. I've submitted applications to, in no particular order:
a. Two museums
b. One magazine
c. One newspaper
d. Three retailers (for their photography/catalog production departments, I swear)
e. One auction house
f. One commercial gallery

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

I've got my fingers crossed, but I'd rather wait a little and get a job I really like, than feel the pressure to take a job I'd just be miserable in.

4. I have one, possibly two big "usage" things coming out soon, but for legal reasons and superstition, I won't say what they are until the others involved speak up too.

5. At the suggestion of a very nice person in the publishing field, I've decided to start working on a book. I think someone might be interested. Because moving across the country and finding a job aren't time consuming enough.

6. I think my boyfriend is trying to kill me, because he told me what he's planning to get me for my 22nd birthday (in, ahem, 19 days). It's very sweet of him, but as I mentioned before, certain things, like a certain computer game, are so addictive, I will not move, my muscles will atrophy, I will forget to eat, and starve to death.

It'll probably be a few more days until I have something interesting to say.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the wild and wonderful west coast. If you're looking for wonderful places to kill time while figuring out the whole job search thing, here's my list of favorites that you may or may not have explored already. I moved out here for the physical beauty, so . . .
- Marin Headlands
- Point Reyes
- Muir Woods
- Redwoods Park in the hills above Oakland (the French Trail is awesome)
- Tilden Park

Best of luck with the job search, getting settled in, buying furniture, etc. Ikea is probably the way to go if you are on a budget around here. I felt like such an adult having matching color wood in my apartment after years of craigslist buys that were functional but existed as a hodge-podge of metal and plywood in varying colors.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Stealth said...

I hope you enjoy the west coast!!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home